Friends of the Peak

Board Meeting Minutes

 

June 10th, 2014

 

--Attendance: Carol Beckman, Paul Mead, Bob Bunch, Brian Van Valkenburg, Steve Bremner, Jim Strub, Susan Jarvis-Weber

 

--May minutes approved

 

--Severy Creek

          --Walk on the trail with Doug Lamborn

          --Paul thinks that if Lamborn were to provide funding for fighting forest fires that it would do better by freeing up resources for the trails

          --Paul says USFS hired RMFI to assess fixing Severy Cr. Trail and RMFI quoted $114K. (Note from Steve: I hiked the entire length of the Severy Creek trail on July 6th –it’s just under five miles long. With a set of pruners and a chain saw, I could “fix” the trail inside of five days by myself. The trail is well constructed and aside from deadfall and normal growth following 15 years of disuse it is in great shape.)

          --USFS will have three upper management personnel turning over this summer and fall

          --Meeting on Thursday, Susan Davies, Bill Koerner, Paul Mead, and Brent Botts

 

--Bear Creek

          --Roundtable meeting is being attended by Eric Swab now

          --Allan Hahn said that they may open all the closed trails June 20th

 

--National Scenic Trail designation

          --Bill Koerner’s thing

          --Two acts of Congress—(1) Study, (2) Designation

          --From Pathfinder book, Carol noted 10 essential people

                   --Get someone from National Park Service

                   --Get a plan

 

--Trail Scouts (Bob Bunch coordinator)

          --Button on web site for “Trail Feedback” can be used by Trail Scouts

          --Carol will get info to Bob and look at trail feedback

 

--June project reminder

          --Recruit for Iron Mtn and South Slope email

          --Metal signs for recruiting volunteers—Brian is working with Rick Hessek to print up four metal parking lot signs

 

--Nametags

          --Susan has nametags

         

--20th Anniversary

          --Mary Burger is willing to write something

 

--Karma night, Bristol Brewery, full up for 2014

          --Trinity does it too--Steve will look into contact info

 

--Leave no Trace (Susan)  

          --Susan will email with dates that work for training (2nd week in August)

 

--July Incline work day is cancelled

 

--Red Rock weed walk cancelled—High school group from Minnesota is going back early

          --Weed walk about invasive species happened anyway with Scott Abbott, John (Red Rock Ranger), Amber (RMFI), Molly, 2 CS parks interns, Dave Dombach, Shanti, David Valier, Jim D, and Carol.

 

--Crew leader letter, Brian will work on

 

--Barr Trail Mtn Race has the flyer

          --Ascent/PPM/GoG

          --Table for us at packet pickup—15, 16 Aug

 

Round table

          --Jim asked about the connector trail at the top of the Incline—RMFI will construct the trail based on Paul’s design

 

          --Paul has a hard copy of the Barr Trail plan—no electronic copy available—Barr Trail work day was good—Iron Mtn two work days went well—next day is 22 June

          --Concern that Shanti has planned for us to do repair work, switchback—hope there is no burn out

 

          --Brian has had good success with work on 7 Bridges and Iron Mtn—next workday is on washout in big gulley—late summer before he can get to St Mary Falls—at least four more work days on 7 Bridges

 

          --Susan said the web site is difficult to choose projects to volunteer for—the check boxes look like icons

          --Good turnout for crew leader trainees

 

          --Bob received email claiming 7 bridges trail is closed—not true

 

          --Steve mentioned Trail 703 and its obvious needs for repair—large deadfall, inadequate trail